www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:39 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:36 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Rider weight: ~220lbs
Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?): nothing of note other than 17" supermoto wheels/tires
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc): Sport/canyons
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?): former roadracer, flat track, supermoto; desert riding; touring

Forks
Spring rate: Progressive; whatever the standard rate(s) are for the DR; lowered forks 3/4"
Preload: none added
Oil weight: Maxima 10 wt mixed 2:1 w/ Maxima 15 wt
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators?): Stock; 6" oil height
What did you try to get where you are at? Maxima 7.5 wt cartridge oil @ 6.5"
What would you do differently next time? Nothing; feels pretty good

Shock
Spring rate: 7.5kg/mm
Oil weight: Maxima 7.5 shock oil
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators? shaft swap? etc): revalved stock rig; shortened stroke 3/8"; Procycle lowering links; comp. 8 turns out
Sag: 1.5" race sag
What did you try to get where you are at? Started with spring and links; ran out of comp. adjustment/bike not settled
What would you do differently next time? Pretty good where it's at.

I was considering a shaft swap or more, but decided to see what was going on in there first. Somewhat shocked at the crude valving the factory chose to use on the bike. I did a little shimmery with what I happened to have on hand figuring I couldn't do any worse. My stack isn't elegant, but it works surprisingly well.
Between the porpoising of the forks and the poor rebound in the shock, it was like riding one of those things at the park-a hippo on a spring that one just sways fore and aft upon.
Now the bike doesn't seem to have any foibles in corners, under braking, sweepers, high speed, etc. I was trying to find something I wasn't happy with, but it just does what it's supposed to, no muss, no fuss.
It's possible I may taken any desert riding off the table, but I haven't tried any with this bike so far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:39 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Rider weight: 210 lbs
Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?); nothing, keeping it light
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc) Lots of on-road lately both city and canyon stuff. Some hardpack and or gravel/desert. Gotta admit, will most likely take a few years before I ride where I really want to be -desert-. I guess that's just priorities. AT least my wife wants a DR as well. :clapping:
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?): been riding for 25+ years or so, Former street sportsbike lunatic switched to allroad rider. Did some amateur rally and desert rally style rides in the past. Preferred riding? Rally roadbook navigation. Never been really good at it, I just like it.

Forks: stock
Spring rate: 0.47 Eibach
Preload: 10mm or so
Oil weight: 5W
sag: around 80mm's
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators?): Ricor Intiminators, just because I like their theory and I happened to run into a pair of second hand ones.
What did you try to get where you are at? (on previous DR's) fork springs, and fork transplant for 80's RM forks.
What would you do differently next time? Dunno, it's evolution I guess. Maybe .50 springs one day? I still have to get used to having very little rebound damping. Which only shows when you let go off the front brake suddenly btw. Otherwise, I like my forks.

Note: when I just had my bike -new- it had a lot of stiction, which became more noticeable when I switched to thinner oil and Intiminators. This really screwed up my ride. Over a period of two weeks this vanished by dripping fork oil between the fork legs and the dust seals a few times.

Shock: Ricor
Spring rate: unspecified. This shock was built for my weight.
Oil weight; unspecified
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators? shaft swap? etc) Inertia Active Valve by Ricor
Sag: slightly over 70mm's
What did you try to get where you are at? Had the stock one rebuilt once on a previous DR. It felt stupid to rebuild a brand new shock this time. Rather buy an aftermarket shock instead.
What would you do differently next time? Dunno, this shock initially felt kinda harsh to me, but at the same time it feels very planted and good. Maybe my calibration was fooked up by the stock wallowy rear shock. Maybe this new shock needed to break its seals in?

Now after a few weeks I love it. I haven't had the chance to really put this shock to the gravel test. Did some unpaved parts of Mulholland Drive in the Santa Monica mountains yesterday, but never got into any speed (it's closed off for bikes actually, so I had to keep an "help me, I am lost" face). heck, I didn't even air down. Harshness at low speed could just as well mean perfect suspension at higher speeds. On the road, canyon carving I bloody love this shock. Eats up everything you throw at it. Dips, ruts, potholes without upsetting the bike at all.

Maybe I run into a complete front end from a Husky 630 one day? :BevButt:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:53 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Rider 250lbs acerbis 5.3 50-70 lbs of luggage

Forks. - stock

I have whatever the second firmest cogent spring with ddc and 5w oil

This performs excelently no dive. Good off and on road. I have the fors slid up in the triple tree to lower it. Procycle reccomended this rather than the factory lowering

I have the stock shock with the factory lowering done and an 8.3 kg spring. This performs good. I think further work could be done on the rear. I put the preload at reccomened i want to tighten it up a bit more but its difficult to adjust that much on the bike and tough to get off so i am procrastinating

Overall the bike is a 100 percent better. It also is easy to set on its sidestand anywhere. It used to be tempramental about the grade and had to be flat or leaning downhill. Zero fork dive and just much better behavior overall. Cogent makes awesome stuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:12 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Kodachrome wrote:
Rider 250lbs acerbis 5.3 50-70 lbs of luggage

Forks. - stock

I have whatever the second firmest cogent spring with ddc and 5w oil

This performs excelently no dive. Good off and on road. I have the fors slid up in the triple tree to lower it. Procycle reccomended this rather than the factory lowering

I have the stock shock with the factory lowering done and an 8.3 kg spring. This performs good. I think further work could be done on the rear. I put the preload at reccomened i want to tighten it up a bit more but its difficult to adjust that much on the bike and tough to get off so i am procrastinating

Overall the bike is a 100 percent better. It also is easy to set on its sidestand anywhere. It used to be tempramental about the grade and had to be flat or leaning downhill. Zero fork dive and just much better behavior overall. Cogent makes awesome stuff

I assume by adjusting on the bike you mean tapping the locknut a little at a time with a punch or screwdriver. When I had the stock spring I needed to tighten mine a good bit and this got old really quick. I found you can reach in with both hands and twist the spring which turns the nut as well. I put some spray lube on the bottom perch to make it turn easier (none on top as you need the friction), and with mechanics gloves on for a better grip, reached both hands in from the left side of the bike. It's still takes a little a time, but quicker than tapping the nut, and much quicker than removing the shock. Tip: take frequent short breaks to rest and stretch your hands...mine were sore for a couple of days afterwards.

2016 GSX-S1000F
2013 DL650
2014 DL1000
1982 GS750

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:44 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Time for another update.

Rider weight - 190 lbs
Bike add-ons - Skid, rear rack, sometimes maybe 5-7 lbs worth of gear
Riding type - Commuter (gravel & slab), dual sport rides, 50" ORV trail, MCCCT single track
Riding background and ability - Basically dirt background. Have done some street in the past, but mostly MX in high school, and a good amount of hare scramble racing thru my 20's. Made it up to A class, but haven't raced since 2009.

Forks
Spring rate - 0.63 kg/mm
Preload - 3 mm
Oil weight - 15W Maxima
Oil height - 140 mm
Damping - Emulators, yellow spring, 2.5 turns preload, (1)3.0mm bleed hole, damper rod holes added
What did you try to get where you are at? Raised oil level, added 8 mm preload (30mm total). Changed to Emulators and Maxima 5W (didn't want to drill damper rods). 0.63 springs and ATF.
What would you do differently next time? - I still want to try DDC's. But this setup it working pretty well, lost a bit of plushness when riding slow, but at an aggressive pace it takes roots and trail trash very well, and I don't lose my ass in G-Outs or small/med whoop sections. Rebound with ATF in the forks felt much too fast, 15W helped.

Shock
Spring rate - 8.0 kg/mm
Oil weight - Maxima 3W
Damping - Home re-valve, see stacks below
Sag - ~3.4" (85 mm)
What did you try to get where you are at? Stiffer stack with stock spring, same stack with the new spring (pogo!).
What would you do differently next time? Working pretty well, I think I am good. With the stiff spring and stack "rev_1" this thing was death on any big suspension movements. G-out at speed? Trying to send you over the bars. Whoops? Get ready for the rear end to try and pass the front. Since I had lighter fork oil at the same time it too lacked rebound damping. Riding buddy was following me down a logging trail with many good G-outs over a 2-3 mile section, probably 45-60 mph stuff. It felt like I was hardly on the ground, hit a big dip, launch, land in time to do it again. When we stopped he was absolutely laughing his ass off, swears I spent most of that section 3-4 ft in the air, where his XR650R probably never got more than a foot off the ground. I tore in for a revalve the next morning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:51 am 

Rider weight 300 # geared-up
Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?) Acerbis 5.3L tank, rear racks, Agri tube, Wolfman pocket tank bag, Wolfman Rocky Mountain 12's (sometimes)
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc) Street, gravel, dirt, singletrack
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?) 35yrs of street and dirt riding. No racing background as a rider, but a bit wrenching.

Forks Stock
Spring rate 7.5 kg Race Tech
Preload 30mm shim between cap and spring (made from stock supplied material)
Oil weight 10w
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators?) Stock
What did you try to get where you are at? Prior riding/wrenching experience
What would you do differently next time? Install new slider bushings

Shock Stock
Spring rate 8.6 kg Race Tech
Oil weight Stock
Damping (stock? emulators? imitators? shaft swap? etc) Stock
Sag Right now, 2". I will readjust after I get a few miles on them and the springs settle in.
What did you try to get where you are at? Prior riding/wrenching experience
What would you do differently next time? Nothing

This was done to my 2005 w/ 7K miles on the clock. I'm a leisure rider who just likes to get out and explore a bit. I do a few D/S rides a year and don't care to be the fastest guy out there. I want to enjoy my surroundings while riding.

Front forks are a ton better. Still a little harsh on the square edged stuff (to be expected since I haven't installed any emulators, YET). Still getting a bit of brake dive, but I really don't mind that. I wanted to feel and experience what just springs would do before installing emulators. This will give me a better baseline, seat of the pants, for what my emulator needs will be. Also gives time to settle in the springs so I won't be fighting that too. I'm going to figure out some sort of external preload adjuster for the forks that doesn't involve spending $160.

Rear shock still sucks, but at least it isn't bottoming out now. Damping is insufficient both ways. I'll have to weigh out options vs costs on this one. I don't see me dropping $500+here. A bit more research will have to be done.

I used Race Tech's guide on helping me to decide on what weight springs to use. I knew from previous experience that they always seem to be about one step heavier than what I like. I think I have a good baseline, springwise, for both ends. Now to get a few hundred miles under my belt and see what fits into the budget.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:17 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Rider weight - 145 lbs
Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?) - Acerbis 5.3 gal tank, +/- 10 lbs of gear
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc) - 100% road
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?) - intermediate returning rider (30+ year lay-off)

Forks - stocks
Spring rate - Einbach 0.52
Preload - factory
Oil weight - factory 10w
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators?) - N/A
What did you try to get where you are at? - nothing
What would you do diffetently next time? - no

Shock - stock
Spring rate - 7.5
Oil weight - factory
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators? shaft swap? etc) - factory dampener (-)4 clicks from full
Sag - unknown
What did you try to get where you are at? - nothing
What would you do differently next time? - no

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:28 pm 

Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?) - Clark 5.0 gal tank, +/- 50 lbs of gear
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc) - 100% offroad, gnarly single track, rocky mountains
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?) - 45 year rider, street and dirt, some racing

Forks - 2007 YZF450 USD
Spring rate - .90
Preload - 33% sag
Oil weight - 7.5
Rebound - 3 clicks in
Compression - 4 clicks in
What did you try to get where you are at? - upgraded stock forks for much $$$
What would you do differently next time? - wouldn't bother with stock front forks, toss them and install YZF forks, or KTM forks

Shock - Cogent
Spring rate - 7.5
Oil weight - 5W
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators? shaft swap? etc) - Cogent shim pack set up for rider and 70 lbs of gear
Sag - 33%
What did you try to get where you are at? - everything
What would you do differently next time? - buy a complete rear shock instead of upgrading stock shock

:bumps: :Roost:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:39 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Forks - 2007 YZF450 USD
Spring rate - .90...

Really? Those are some pretty stout springs for a YZ450F fork.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:39 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
Buelligan wrote:
Forks - 2007 YZF450 USD
Spring rate - .90...

Really? Those are some pretty stout springs for a YZ450F fork.

Holy S**t

.90's????? Aren't those KyB SSS forks?

I had .55 on my race bike in a set of SSS's and it was stiff as a brick, if you weren't absolutely flying it would beat you to death.

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next