www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:32 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blue Ridge Trail
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:41 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Just got back from my second attempt to ride a trail system called the Blue Ridge Trail. Me and Acme Zoom started the trail a couple years ago, but had to quit after the first day when I came down with a stomach virus the first day. Four of us on the mighty DR 650 made this trip.
Me, on my 05 yellow DR
Mark, riding an 09 white DR
Roxanne, on her 07 Blue DR
My buddy Robert, riding a white 96 DR
The gang, leaving out. Is four DR's a herd?
The BRT is a group of tracks that run parallel with the Blue Ridge Parkway, west of the BRP, from just above the NC/VA line almost to the Maryland State line. The track is basicly a loop with the eastern section of the loop being the Blue Ridge Parkway. The plan was to hit the BRT from NC Hwy 16, ride up for 3 days, cut over to the BRP and ride home the last two days. The trail connects scenic two lane roads, dirt roads, and forrest service roads. The riding was great.
I couldn't really tell how long each track would take, so, Comers Rock Campground was an original plan to stop for the first night, if the going was slow
We met this Mt Biker at Comers Rock Campground. He has an XR 650L he plans to take on the TAT in 2017
The riding was good, the trails were fast and it was too early to stop for the first night so we pushed on
connector roads were mostly scenic paved roads
The trials were great riding, but everyone needs a break, now and again :s_biggrin
the tracks were mostly right on, but we did run into this
On the way back we would find that this section would have been impassable
The weather was great, the riding was spectacular

We stopped when it started drizzling rain, made some coffee, at Raven Cliffs rec area under a shelter.
It was too early to camp so we took off again.
We made it to a track section near Little Walker Mountain. The trail got very narrow and slick. This road may be closed, about halfway up, we ran into a water filled tank trap. Roxanne said NO, but we were determined so Mark rode her bike through it.
Roxanne was happy about that :woohoo:
First we tested the depth and picked a line
Blurry pic of Mark, making his run
Then me going through the water
Mark, taking the left line through the water riding Roxanne's bike. Mark said he liked her bike.
After the water, the trail got slicker, rockier, and steeper. The next section had a steep rocky climb with several rocky ledges. Mark rode through and scouted farther. He came back and said, no freaking way. We got the bikes turned around, rode back through the water then stopped again. It was getting late and we were a long way from the next campground, What looked like an unused side road provided just what we needed. So we set up our "stealth camp" right on the trail.
Robert likes his Hammock
Mark had a cool lightweight one person tent. He stayed dry all night
Kermit chairs, worth the weigh
Perfect place, perfect temperature, We slept great, but woke up to a steady rain starting at about 3am.
Day two coming up....

The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin

I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.

Last edited by deputygene on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Blue Ridge Trail
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:49 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

That's an impressive herd of DRs there. I just did the trail solo two weeks ago but starting in Front Royal and heading down to Damascus with a return on the BRP. I'm assuming you all skipped Iron Mtn trail? Also sounds like the trail you turned around on may have been the connector trail heading out of Wythville up to Big Walker Mtn..it was indeed a good technical downhill when I went through with several shelf drops. Would have been tough going up it.

Look forward to reading more :lurk:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:47 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Looks like you guys had a big time.

Hate I missed this. Been thinking about riding some TET and wondered if you'd be interested.

2006 Suzuki DR 650SE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:15 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

DR Dubb, when are you thinking of doing it? I think most of the BRT is also part of the TET. I would like to make another run at the BRT before it gets too cold. Besides the rain, this is perfect riding weather.

Fuzzy Nugs, how long did it take you to ride the trail north to south? We did skip Iron Mt on the way up, was going to ride it when we turned back south, but the gate was closed. Later saw a sign indicating it was open to MC's but we had already turned off.

The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin

I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:09 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Deputy
Just starting to think about it. Probably be spring. I think I've used up my riding chips for this year.

I was thinking about a couple of days here and there. Trailer the bikes up.

2006 Suzuki DR 650SE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:43 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

DR Dubb, that would be good! 8GV has tentatively said he would like to ride the TET in the spring. That would be great! If you can cash in another three day chip this year, there are more sections of this trail I want to hit.

Need some help from the interweb experts. I have some videos, taken with Marks GoPro, they are loaded into photobucket. I tried to attach a video to this ride report, but there is nothing there. I hit the video button at the top, instead of image, posted the direct link between the [ ] symbol, but nothing. What am I doing wrong?

George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:51 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

We woke up to a cold steady rain. Tried to wait it out in the tents, then moved around some. Had some coffee and tried to decide what to do. I got out my laptop, downloaded the active track from the gps to tell us exactly where we were on the trail. Going up the rock strewn hill, while raining and after a night of rain wasn't gonna work. The forecast the guys pulled up on their I phones called for storms all day. We decided to go dry out at a motel. Big Walker Motel said we could check in right now, and there was food and beer nearby. Problem solved.
We packed up our wet camp site and headed out.
While the gps said it was 5 something miles away, I have Interstate travel turned off and we ran a twisty route of about 17 miles in the fog and rain. Rooms were pretty decent, only $57.00 for a double. The heat felt good!
After having pizza delivered at the motel we looked at out options. Storm was coming in, moving SW to NE, just where we were going to go. We decided to retrace our route in the morning and ride the trails south we had missed yesterday. We started our day with Subway flatbread breakfast sanwhiches, saving half for lunch.
We got really lucky as it seemed to rain all around us all day long but the riding was fantastic again today.
Mark nicknamed Robert, EasyRider for his open face Harley Helmit.
Found this cool one lane bridge and took some glamor shots

George Carlin

Last edited by deputygene on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:33 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I did the loop in 5 days total. I'm about an hour and a half north from where the trails start in Front Royal. In total it was 620 miles to Damascus from my driveway and that took 3 and a half days. I spent the second half of day 4 getting from Damascus to the BRP and then blasted the parkway north on day 5. I keep a brisk pace while also balancing the need for safety as I was by myself. I hit the dirt by 8 or 9 am and stopped for beer at 5pm. Would be setup at a campsite by sundown at 7. Worked all 4 nights.

Bummer about the rain on day 2. I was fortunate to only have a light misting rain one morning. Keep up the ride report. You are lucky you didn't try Iron mtn...check the BRT thread on advrider for my mini-report about the downed trees.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I figured 5 days would be enough to do it. That's what we had started with but Robert needed to be back on day 5 so we decided to cut over earlier to the BRP. Rain changed that plan though.
We would have run Iron Mt on the way back but thought it was closed. Found a trail sign later that said it was open. Maybe a good thing.
Have a few more pics to post later.

George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:27 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

The riding back was great
The colors of the leaves are just starting to change
Then we ran into these guys...
A gang of KLR's. A herd of DR's. Thought there might be trouble... :shoot: No, just kidding, all good. Nice guys, local, riding the trails. Don, Mark and Robert. Who'd a thought? Our group was Gene, Mark, Robert and Roxanne. They were riding an 07 and two 09 KLR's. Nice guys, we talked bikes and tires for a few minutes
When getting ready to leave, the guy on the Red KLR dropped his helmet, just right, breaking off his handlebar kill switch. That was a new one, the KLR, at least that year model, has a toggle type kill switch that snapped right off. Now the bike wouldn't start. Luckily we were able to push start it. I was suprised that it would push start, but it did.

George Carlin

Last edited by deputygene on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.