www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:56 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:55 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

About your question.... yes and no.... The DR650 is a common DUALSPORT bike because is the cheapest option (4k less than a KLR650) but not the most representig bike among dual sport riders in the country. I think the most common bike is the KLR, followed by BMW's and KTM's

I think that because Ecuador is a spanish speaking country, most people don't use this English speaking forums.... But I know for sure that here are at least 4 riders from Ecuador....

I'm currently the president of a Dual Sport Moto Club in Cuenca... we are 50 something members, buy only 2 of us ride DR650s. I'm from Quito and ther I've seen more DR650s in the streets....

Hopefully, If I continue keeping this post active, eventually more riders will see it and participate.... LETS MAKE THIS A SPANISH WRITTING PONIT!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Disculpame, me Espanol es mas o menos horible. Falta practica! Por eso, voy a continuar en Ingles. (!lo siento!)

I have heard there is a Suzuki assembly plant (fabrica) in Colombia. Therefore, we now see DR650's, Freewind and Vstrom in various countries in S. America. I know La Policia use them in some countries ... and now I read from you that private security companies also use them.

If Police use them ... then there MUST BE a good mechanic there in Ecuador (or official Suzuki store?) to work on them, no? AND ... Suzuki must provide parts for the DR650 also? No?

Can you tell us what you know about getting parts there? Can you compare prices with Suzuki parts sold in the USA? I know Ecuador is on US Dollar ... so should be easy to know prices. Surprised to hear KLR is expensive there. It's very low price here in California, and so is DR650.

I am surprised to hear that so many DR650's are around Cuenca. What about in other cities in Ecuador? Hay mas?
There are NOW many North American travelers down there riding DR650's too. Check onto ADV Riders forum:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932758

There are now 4 or 5 riders on DR650's in Colombia and heading to you. Maybe you can contact them? Most will check in with the Gringo who has a touring company in Quito. (Olvidi' el nombre) These traveling Gringos need to KNOW your country and NOT just ride through in two days. HELP them discover it ... ! (I spent 3 months in Ecuador in 1975, been back twice since)

Also find this guy ... he is near you riding his DR. There are several more without ride reports ... look for them in Cuenca!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914229

Saludos a todo!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:18 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

HI DRGRIFTER.... You speak good spanish... maybe better than I speak English! All you need is "practica"

Yes... there is a Suzuki factory in Colombia... here in Ecuador we have an "Authorized Dealership" names COMANDATO.... basically it is a Home Apliances store (they sell fridges kitchens tv's, music devices, and suzuki bikes) Here in Ecuador police used to use Freewinds in the early 2000's... then they changed to Honda Tornados until 2007, since then they used KLR650's and Suzuki bandits 1200... Know they are usin Yamaha Tenere... Only Private Security Companies still use DR650.

You might think if police used them, there must be a good suzuki mechanic. The answer is NO.... (Please read my first entry in this post)... Comandato has a machanic place to give manteinance to the bikes but they are really bad.

Parts and prices???? Here in Ecuador we do have US Dollar as currency... but our Import Laws are stupid.... everything is prohibited except for some entities that are allowed to import, but paying HIGH taxes.... there fore... a Suzuki DR650 or a KLR that in the US costs aprox $6000. Here Cost $9.500 (Suzuki) and $13500 (KLR) The same taxes applies to accesories and parts.... that's why noone imports and sells.... We have to buy everything in the US as long is not worth more than $400,00 and 4 kilo per import. And of course... paying as much as a 100% value in taxes...

Here in Cuenca... i've only seen 2 DR650s.... In Quito I've seen maybe 30.... In other cities maybe there is a couple more.... I think in total we must be arround 100 DR650 owners in the whole country!.... Cuenca is the city with more motorcycle enthusiasts!

I was on ADV Forum.... but they "banned me for ever" since I put a post saying that if anyone ever comes to Ecuador I'll be glad to provide guidance services.... they assumed I was making advertisment of a paying service and banned me for ever.... so I currently HATE ADV.... It's their lost! :lol:

If you are a member on ADV.... give them my email (martinburla@hotmail.com) and ask them to visit our Dual Sport Club page on facebook (Dual Moto Club Cuenca).... I'll love to guide them through our Country! You have to come back to Ecuador... It has changed a LOT in the past 8 years.... (oil money made a huge improvement in many ways)

Saludos amigo! Gracias por tus palabras!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:04 pm 

where can i find this Suzuki dealer i have look all over Loja and Cuenca? i will be going to Quito the end of the month and would like to see where they are and at their bikes. when i retired down here i could not bring my bikes with me, due to the Ecuadorian laws on bringing in bikes. i have been here almost three years and settled in now it is time to get a bike and start riding again. i want a bike, not a Chinese copy cat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Mbldr,

We have a good friend who lives near us that was born in Ecuador and is planning to ride his dr650 down there later this year. His dad lives there and he rode around on a rented bake last year. Photos looked amazing.

We recently redid the suspension on his dr for the trip and ordered a pile of goodies from ProCycle to get his DR ready for the ride.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:48 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

where can i find this Suzuki dealer i have look all over Loja and Cuenca? i will be going to Quito the end of the month and would like to see where they are and at their bikes. when i retired down here i could not bring my bikes with me, due to the Ecuadorian laws on bringing in bikes. i have been here almost three years and settled in now it is time to get a bike and start riding again. i want a bike, not a Chinese copy cat.

There is a Suzuki Dealer in Cuenca, In avenue Gran Colombia in downtown. It´s called COMANDATO. I stopped by a week ago, they have 3 DR650 in stock for USD $9,800,00.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:50 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Mbldr,

We have a good friend who lives near us that was born in Ecuador and is planning to ride his dr650 down there later this year. His dad lives there and he rode around on a rented bake last year. Photos looked amazing.

We recently redid the suspension on his dr for the trip and ordered a pile of goodies from ProCycle to get his DR ready for the ride.

Awesome! tell him to look for me. My email is listed above. Also he can take a look of our facebook page called "Dual Moto Club Cuenca" and the fan page of our latest project called "Moteando Ecuador".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:15 pm 

thanks for the information about the Dealer in Quito i will see at the end of the month what he has

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:04 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Ypu should find the same bikes in Quito and in Cuenca... COMANDATO is the official Suzuki Dealership for all Ecuador.

In Quito you will find COMANDATO in the corner of Av. 10 de Agosto and Av Naciones Unidas. Next to the fuel pump. Or in the Av. de los Shyris in front of Carolina Park, 100 mts before reaching Av. Naciones Unidas.

The price should be the same... arround USD $9.800,00 plus taxes...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:56 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I am originally from Ecuador and plan to head south from the US in the month of August. That should get me there sometime Feb or so.

Anyway, I am bringing a 2002 model that I plan to leave at my dad's place so... I get to use it on return trips, etc, etc.

Question for you. Do you know what kind of "import" tax I will be penalized with when I leave this DR in Ecuador?

Stay in touch. Perhaps we can do a ride when I arrive to this great country!