www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:16 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:19 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

There isn't much better than a cold beer after a long day of riding...but I haven't figured out a good way to get it to the campsite when I go on motorcycle camping trips. Carrying it from home doesn't make much sense because it's usually several hours away and the beer would be warm by the time I got there. I think the best bet is to pick it up on the way into camp each day/night but then I need space for it in my luggage or an ability to strap the package of beer to my luggage. There's also the concern about shaking it up on the way in. Keeping it cold can also be a problem if it's hot outside...maybe just pick a beer that tastes good and is still easy to drink when it gets warm? :dunno:

I know there are some serious beer lovers in this group...so what do you guys do? :drinks:

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:32 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I find stout is good warm. Some would say even better. Ales are also usually good even after losing that chill.
I find though, that the lighter the beer, the less I can tolerate it when it starts to warm up.

Cans are convenient because they are easy to strap on top of your luggage at the store before leaving civilization and are also easy to chill down again in a stream. Also, a shallow hole in the ground with a stone on top will work too. The ground is an excellent insulator and the stone acts as a heat sink. Both of these can help to "calm" them down a bit after a bumpy ride. U

Unfortunately, I find that the selection of canned beer I enjoy rather limiting. I am a beer snob :s_dunno

If you are camping with others and store is close by, you can always have them watch your gear and make a quick run out after you have unloaded.
Or make the new guy do it. Just be careful he doesn't come back with Old English. :s_rofl

2013 DR650 34,651------->DR790 1,000 miles and counting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:28 pm 
DR650 Limits Tester

RamMan4x4 wrote:
There isn't much better than a cold beer after a long day of riding... :drinks:

From your experience of racing and riding with me and my riding buddies you know I couldn't agree more :biggrin:

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Maybe in the not too distant future........you can have your beer delivered by drone. Phone in geographic coordinates.........bag a chips with that order?
Bear in the air?! Or is that beer. :drinks:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:44 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Simple Brad, on the left side Mule pack start with layer a of ice then a 6 pack another layer of ice, another 6 pack interspersed with steaks and hamburger then top with a layer of ice. Doesn't get any easier.. I know you don't have a set just get crash to haul the beer in his ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:09 pm 
DR650 Limits Tester

Good point Bob!

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:07 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

My solution.....take a nice tawny port instead! Take a skin so it's not breakable, tuck it into a side bag, warm it over a camp fire......brilliant!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:35 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I am usually beat by the time I hit camp, whether on my bicycle or motorbike. The colder and lighter the beer the better for me. So I try to pick up on the way there and if it's less than a half hour away, I just put it in my bag, and it's usually plenty cold. I'll do tall cans for two reasons: 1) stays cold longer 2)I cut the top off and use it as a coffee cup in the morning, which also reduces the bulk of my pack job. Can even be cut into a plate, which is nice for a steak or other campfire creations.

If I am camping more than a half hour away, I either switch to a beer that is good warm but still drinkable, like new castle if I'm on my bicycle where weight it's an issue. If I'm on my motorcycle, I'll use a small dry bag to put the beer in, and offer to pay the spot for ice from their soda fountain. Most people are impressed with my ingenuity and don't charge me for the ice. Then I strap the iced bag to the top of my luggage pack so it doesn't condensate on my stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:35 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Whatever became of the self-cooling can ?? I SAW IT marketed for a bit a few years ago. The thing took 2--3 minutes to make it cold upon opening (rapid heat sink via gases). . .but I lost track of it.
Any sightings ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:25 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Tombo wrote:
I am usually beat by the time I hit camp, whether on my bicycle or motorbike. The colder and lighter the beer the better for me. So I try to pick up on the way there and if it's less than a half hour away, I just put it in my bag, and it's usually plenty cold. I'll do tall cans for two reasons: 1) stays cold longer 2)I cut the top off and use it as a coffee cup in the morning, which also reduces the bulk of my pack job. Can even be cut into a plate, which is nice for a steak or other campfire creations.

If I am camping more than a half hour away, I either switch to a beer that is good warm but still drinkable, like new castle if I'm on my bicycle where weight it's an issue. If I'm on my motorcycle, I'll use a small dry bag to put the beer in, and offer to pay the spot for ice from their soda fountain. Most people are impressed with my ingenuity and don't charge me for the ice. Then I strap the iced bag to the top of my luggage pack so it doesn't condensate on my stuff.

Good points :Roost:
I like the tall cans for one reason.........more beer :drinks:
When I go camping, like I am next week, I take a small collapsible cooler that I got from our local supermarket.
Folds up to almost nothing.
Put the ice in it.
Beer wherever you can fit.
Get to camp and place beer on ice.
When your done setting up camp.
Beer is cold and good to go :good:

upper chain roller,clutch,side stand switches=removed,Craftsman $10 tool box,$10 eBay tachometer,NSU mod,raised needle, de-snorkled, Scaggs Rack,Ricochet skid plate,homemade 6061 peg lowerers,14T c/s,Garmin 60csx GPS,Moose Handguards,DRZ 250 footpegs,ProCycle seat,mid-pipe,engine armor,DR250 taillight,GSXR600 muffler,ProTaper CR1 1/8 bars, Acerbis 5.3,Dunlop 606 rear, IRC TR-8 front, Countershaft seal retainer, carb mounted choke knob.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next