www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:37 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:03 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Ok, so starts my side cover endeavor. If you've seen my other thread ( mud parts ), I'm extending what I've learned on that last test project and applying these techniques to fabricate/replicate new side covers for my DR. What I'm aiming to do is create a set of custom carbon fiber side covers for my super motard-ish project, to give the bike a bit more sporty look in that trim.

In a nutshell, I will be cloning the oem side covers, creating plaster cast mold negative, then laminating new CF replicas from this one-time (one-off) mold process. Finally, adding a custom paint and color scheme.

Referencing the above pic …

(1) & (2) Here, I've started by adding some aluminum ducting tape to the backside of the oem cover. The over-hang is going to provide the flange area needed for the mold. I like the aluminum tape because it is real sticky, & and it retains it's shape being more sturdy. The flange area simply extends the original part so that we have more room to work when casting a new part from the mold.

(3), (4) & (5) So I started by mixing up a thin mixture of drywall hot-mud, 20 minute so I can get this done in one evening.

(6) & (7) It's important to add some reinforcement “grid” tape. I lay these in right after I spread the mud on, just tap it on and then wait 20 min for that mud to set-up. Now mix up new batch of mud (thicker) and spread it over that grid tape, followed by another layer of grid tape. Lasagna – ummmm, I'm getting hungry. Do this at least 3 times, maybe more, you'll have a good strong mold.

Referencing the above pic …

(8) Ok, the mold has setup fully ( a few hours ). Here, I'm pealing off the flange tape so I can reveal the edges in order to pop the oem part free.

(9) It's almost no effort to free the oem cover as plaster doesn't stick much to plastic. A tip however … I did wax the heck out of the cover prior, just in-case.

(10), (11), & (12) Well, the casting process is almost “too” perfect. As you can see, it captured the relief edge of the oem sticker ! Not really an issue however … I just sanded & feathered it smooth.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:08 am 
:lurk:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:02 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Most Excellent!
:lurk:

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:17 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Ok.... was able to play with some resin & carbon. I really can't say all went as planed (like it ever does), yet not a loss.

Here's the pics :

^^^
(1) I let the mud mold fully dry/cure for a few days in my hot attic. Took a grinder and knocked-off the excess, did another dry sanding to make sure the surface was butter-sweet.
Now comes the beeswax application. I really lathered this stuff on. In fact, using a heat-gun, I got it to really soak deep into the pores of the mold, let it cool, then one last time with a “wet” waxy shine.

(?) Sorry, no pics of laying up the carbon fiber this time. I had my hands full (and sticky no less), and on a time crunch before the resin hardens to grabs pics.

(2) Ok, before you ask “why am I looking at a pile of dirt”, let me just say you're actually looking at emergency backup MacGyver plan “D” ( that comes after plan A, B & C). Plan “A” was my home made vacuum bag which failed !! Arrg ! Was doing good until the port that I had the hose connected to became unglued - psssssshhhhh - crap !! So I grabbed a shovel and rushed outside. All I need here is pressure to keep that CF fabric tight against the mold. As a result, you're looking at about 10 lbs of yard dirt - LOL ! I just piled it right on top the vacuum bag and hoped for the best. Hey, if it works good, I might consider this plan “A” for now on.

(3) Next morning I popped the part free of the mold. Not a loss, however plenty of small bubbles, and two areas that didn't wet-out with epoxy. That said, I have a pretty good foundation here. Started by triming off the excess cloth.

(4) So here's what I got. Needs a bit of TLC, but I think it's going to work out fine. I'd still prefer vacuum bag, but the dirt idea sure save my ass here!

From here I plan to wet-sand this a bit, then mix-up some resin to “repair” and fill any voids. Then wet-sand again to restore the profile.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:41 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Extremely cool TimeBandit! :clapping:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Fantastic! :good:

I think you have just discovered a "better" way to make parts for the majority of us.

We can call it:
"The TimeBandit Sand Bagging" method for making parts.

Ideal for those of us who don't have vacuum bag access.
I looked into getting set up for small parts vacuum bagging and found it is not simple nor inexpensive.
But sand bagging would be easy to do on many of the parts I have made.

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:32 am 
Looks good to me...

You'll have a one of a kind sweet ride... Well one of a kind until we copy it, thanks to your instructions...

Really cool...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:05 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Thanks everyone !!

I had a chance to work on the right side cover recently. Below is a pic after triming to exact shape as the OEM cover, cut out the vent notch & drilled the mount hole, some epoxy repairs, wet sanding with 800 grit, then a shot of two-part clear to seal it all up. Not too shabby !

Ok, so my tard conversion is still going to be a white bike predominately. If I had a black DR I'd consider keeping my new panels straight CF look. So below is what I settled on as a color scheme moving forward.

Its a horrible Photoshop edit, but gets the idea presented. What I'm attempting to do here is put a more aggressive-look to the panel. DR panels are so dirt, mud-flap-looking, so the implementation of the darker carbon contrasted with the white paint will help the bulk of the panel fade. I'm tapering the white to tie into the tail section. Additionally, you'll note the trim-job to further sport-out the panel. Finally, the orange splash is just there to tie-in the overall color scheme with the orange sumo wheels.

What do ya'll think?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:27 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Firstly I think you deserve a round of applause :clapping:
That is a tremendous effort and it looks great!!

Secondly, I think the colour scheme is good but I don't think you should trim the bottom edge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:46 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Thanks everyone !!

I had a chance to work on the right side cover recently. Below is a pic after triming to exact shape as the OEM cover, cut out the vent notch & drilled the mount hole, some epoxy repairs, wet sanding with 800 grit, then a shot of two-part clear to seal it all up. Not too shabby !

Ok, so my tard conversion is still going to be a white bike predominately. If I had a black DR I'd consider keeping my new panels straight CF look. So below is what I settled on as a color scheme moving forward.

Its a horrible Photoshop edit, but gets the idea presented. What I'm attempting to do here is put a more aggressive-look to the panel. DR panels are so dirt, mud-flap-looking, so the implementation of the darker carbon contrasted with the white paint will help the bulk of the panel fade. I'm tapering the white to tie into the tail section. Additionally, you'll note the trim-job to further sport-out the panel. Finally, the orange splash is just there to tie-in the overall color scheme with the orange sumo wheels.

What do ya'll think?

+1 on all the positive comments and praise - it looks fantastic! How expensive is the carbon fiber material - I know cars made with the stiff are mega expensive but how much material is needed for a new side coverl? I looked on Partzilla for the cost of a standard side cover and it was around $80, so could this be a viable cost replacement for a side panel? Either way it looks much better than the original and is a great 'farkle'.