www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:12 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:29 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I’d have to admit, the orange in my photoshop'ed image looks a bit bright, but the orange I have in stock isn't that loud. I have the Suzuki 'burnt' orange which I think is going to be a bit toned down and goes better with the black fiber.

Sparkys - As far as the trimming ... the main reason, I have a DG exhaust, so that 2nd bolt on lower rear of the right panel is empty. Sure, I did modify the plaster mold to “delete” that fastener (smooth on my replica), but after the test-fit, it still looks odd being flared out so much with no support. So maybe just a small trim then.

Streaky wrote:
How expensive is the carbon fiber material - I know cars made with the stiff are mega expensive but how much material is needed for a new side cover? I looked on Partzilla for the cost of a standard side cover and it was around $80, so could this be a viable cost replacement for a side panel?

Good question. Reality however being you can make this as inexpensive or expensive as you like. Cheapest being drywall mud for the mold, polyester resin & glass for the lay-up, with good quality rattle-can paint. $$ being (like I have) epoxy resin, CF cloth, & automotive paint with two-part urethane clear-coat. The trick for me is that much of my stock is already paid for from previous projects past.
CF cloth runs close to $50-$80 per linear yard (typical width is 50 inch), thus you could probably get 4-5 covers cut out of 1 yard. But the epoxy resin will set you back ... think $100 per gallon, and while it won’t take a full gallon to make 4-5 covers, you still bought it by the gallon. Then you’ll need good UV protection for the resin, otherwise it will yellow & chalk. Superior UV filtration comes from high-end automotive clear (two-part) urethane, thus is not cheap either. You can use rattle-can spray clear acrylic with UV, but the durability (chipping/pealing) just won’t be there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:57 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Update :

So i got the chance to layout the white base paint. You'll note that stencile-taped the "DR650" to preserve the underlying CF pattern rather than painting black. Frickin' took forever to razor-blade the tape stincles, but MAN was it WORTH IT! Really cool effect.

( ^^^ no clear-coat yet )

ImageImage
(^^^ test-fit on bike - Sumo conversion in-progess - excuse the dust)

I changed-up the orange stripe just a little. The 'SuMo' stincle sucks (messy) I was getting tired and rushed it. Yet I think that actually worked - hehe, I like the way it turned-out.

Finally, I choose to go with a semi-gloss clear. I did this by combining some gloss and flat - was totally experimental but figure I can get away with it being the same mfr clear. Camera just does not do justic here at all. I'm really beside myself on how good this looks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Streaky wrote:
+1 on all the positive comments and praise - it looks fantastic! How expensive is the carbon fiber material - I know cars made with the stiff are mega expensive but how much material is needed for a new side coverl? I looked on Partzilla for the cost of a standard side cover and it was around $80, so could this be a viable cost replacement for a side panel? Either way it looks much better than the original and is a great 'farkle'.

You can buy black fiberglass that looks just like carbon fiber for a fraction of the cost of the real stuff.
It is plenty strong and the weight difference is minimal on a small part like a side panel.
I have used black tinted epoxy on my street tracker with regular weave fiberglass and it looks good too but it doesn't have the typical weave of cf.

If I was making parts like the side panels I would use black cf weave fiberglass and save a LOT of money.
(so I can spend it on other things!)

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:28 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Really like the way the side cover looks.
Blends with the rear fender nicely. Very sharp :good:

upper chain roller,clutch,side stand switches=removed,Craftsman $10 tool box,$10 eBay tachometer,NSU mod,raised needle, de-snorkled, Scaggs Rack,Ricochet skid plate,homemade 6061 peg lowerers,14T c/s,Garmin 60csx GPS,Moose Handguards,DRZ 250 footpegs,ProCycle seat,mid-pipe,engine armor,DR250 taillight,GSXR600 muffler,ProTaper CR1 1/8 bars, Acerbis 5.3,Dunlop 606 rear, IRC TR-8 front, Countershaft seal retainer, carb mounted choke knob.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:28 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Loving it. Great job! :howdy:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:47 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:23 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Thanks gsexr

Thought an update is due ...
Got some scratches in the September 2014 crash, so I decided to switch-up the scheme before re-clear coating the cover. After-all, what good is leftover paint rotting on the shelf. Here's what it looks presently :

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:39 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

These are on point! Sharpest side covers out there, nicely done.