www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:34 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I get very few "new post" email notifications on topics I am subscribed to.
Is this all "auto" ... or do human hands enter into this?

Especially true with OLDER threads. I see an update on the board ... but do not get notification.

Software bug? :?:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:43 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I've noticed the same thing... but I think it's because I don't always click through on notification emails regarding a new post in a thread to which I'm subscribed. Maybe not but that's my guess.

With drriders.com, it seems that if you miss one notification, that's it -- you won't ever receive another notification regarding that thread, until you visit that thread again.

It's handled differently at other sites. For instance at advrider, I might be subscribed to like 10 threads. I'm not real active on that site so I often don't bother clicking thru on notification emails.

But then the next time I am active on advrider, they'll prompt me with notifications to some of the threads I'm subscribed to. That DR650 thread with a squillion pages is a good example. I rarely if ever click thru on a notification to that thread, but if I'm otherwise active at advrider I'll get a notification to the DR650 thread.

Heh, it just happened right now... I posted something on advrider and now have an email notification for the DR650 thread.

The FZ1 site does the same thing. Must be an algorithm in the background to trigger emails to thread subscribers after a certain period of time or based on activity elsewhere on the site.

Would be a good thing for drriders to look into as it would definitely drive more traffic and posts. :good:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:21 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

I will look into it... not a whole lot of options for us to play with on the phpBB board software....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:29 pm 
I get spammed to death with "notify me when a reply is posted"... So I quite selecting it so much... Haven't subscribed to any though...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

So after further review there are no options for us to control post subscriptions other than allowing it or disallowing it. All of the generated messages are phpbb board/software internal functions. So in the well overused quote "it is what it is" :pardon:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:41 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

So Rob, if a user goes to Control Panel > Manage Subscriptions and clicks on each of the subscribed threads, does that reactivate dormant email notifications? In other words, the user receives an email notification when a new post is added to a subscribed thread ... even though he/she didn't click through on the last email notification received?

If that's the case, periodically going through that quick exercise in Control Panel would be a good way to ensure notifications are active.

Thanks for the looking into it... maybe the phpBB developers will add some flexibility in a future release. Seems like vBulletin Version 3.7.4 does offer that flexibility, the yamahafz1oa.com group uses that software and I regularly, though not excessively, get notifications to subscribed threads even though I hadn't clicked on the most recent notification.

:drinks:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:32 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yea, it seems this software "drops" your subscription to a thread if you are not active on it everyday or so. At least that's my unscientific take on what I've experienced.

In User Control ... I think you either sign up for notifications or you don't. I don't think you need to go back and check each thread?
But not sure ... I think you can choose how often you want notification. (similar to V-Bulletin)
I think I checked "Instant" on mine ... and with active threads I do seem to get notifications right away. But old threads that I'm subscribed to ... don't seem to notify at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:39 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Nothing really to do in the user control panel concerning subscriptions.... other than looking at the forums or topics you are subscribed/watching to or unwatching them. Do not attempt to adjust your TV set... the system is in control. :pardon:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:39 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yea, it's still not working. I did get notification about THIS thread ... but the Summer Heat thread was just updated ...
No notification. Several the same. Maybe it's just a bit late? Not "instant"?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:42 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Interesting. I have just a few threads (including this one) and our Admin forum in my watch list. All seem to work properly with notifications. I wonder if it's a volume thing? Sorry I can't be of more help here.... :pardon: How about unwatching and then rewatch in the thread(s) to see if that does anything?