www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Easing the Clutch Pull
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I'm back on the DR temporarily for single track since I sold my 2t dirt bikes. This is going to be my do-it-all dirt bike until a can put together the cash for a new KTM350EXC-F.

I road about 3.5 hours of single track woods today using 14/42 gearing. Trails are relatively easy about a three D rating. I'm planning to change the gearing back to 14/45 to stay away from first gear, but past experience has shown that I'll still need to clutch it quite a bit in the tight stuff. I'm looking for an easier clutch pull without changing hub springs. Has anyone tried lengthening the by clutch actuator arm (welding an extension), or has any found a longer clutch actuator arm from another bike that will fit on the DR650?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:24 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I'm back on the DR temporarily for single track since I sold my 2t dirt bikes. This is going to be my do-it-all dirt bike until a can put together the cash for a new KTM350EXC-F.

I road about 3.5 hours of single track woods today using 14/42 gearing. Trails are relatively easy about a three D rating. I'm planning to change the gearing back to 14/45 to stay away from first gear, but past experience has shown that I'll still need to clutch it quite a bit in the tight stuff. I'm looking for an easier clutch pull without changing hub springs. Has anyone tried lengthening the by clutch actuator arm (welding an extension), or has any found a longer clutch actuator arm from another bike that will fit on the DR650?

No idea when it comes to your question, but I just rode this weekend some uphill single track and my clutch went completely out about 300 yards from the top. Pushing the mighty DR the rest of the way up was something else. It really has me considering a smaller bike. I do have the same goal as you when it comes to the Orange Crush

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I'm using a DR-Z400 clutch arm on the post coming out of the clutch housing on the DR650. It is a little longer than the stock DR650 piece. I think I bought mine from ronayers.com.

I experimented with the moose ez pull adaptor, one/two finger stunt clutch lever, and am now back to the stock long lever. I would like to find an even easier pull than I have now, but the DR-Z400 lever with stock clutch springs is the best I've found.

After I replaced the clutch a few years back I put in Barnett springs because I have the 725cc piston. That made the pull much stiffer. I took those springs out and have not had any trouble with the clutch slipping on hard acceleration with the stock springs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:05 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I found the OEM clutch and a EBC Clutch to be second rate as compared against my Barnett "Kevlar" clutch. I tried the HD springs with the EBC to keep it from slipping and that was too hard to pull. ONce I went to the Barnett I was able to go back the OEM springs. The Kevlar Clutch is a bit snatchie at first on a cold start until the oil circulates for about 2-3 minutes.

I'll check out the DRZ Clutch arm. I'd really like to get it about 1/4 inch longer. I had a KDX220R clutch arm welded up longer an it made a big difference.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:00 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Procycle has sucessfully installed a hydraulic clutch, Magura I think, on a DR650. Maybe call Jeff and see if he can set you up with some part numbers. When I installed my Rekluse with the slave cyclinder, it was easier than I thought to bleed the system after install. May be a bit involved but worth in the end.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:19 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The hydraulic clutch is smoother and a little easier to modulate but the pull at the lever is not any less.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:12 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Law of the lever http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever

Using the Long stock clutch lever, and maybe adding the slightly longer DRZ400 clutch arm should help.

Also a good Cable Luber Tool.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/48 ... able-luber

And some good Cable Lube.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/33 ... =SLIsearch

We use to just use WD40 on the old dirt bikes to flush out the crap and moisture. That was back in the days when bikes had way more cables. Clutch Cables, Throttle Cable and Drum Brake Cables, none of this hydraulic stuff. It sure helped free things up so the cable ran smoother and easier.

Or invest in one of these, good to use when you are stuck in traffic in the car, lol.
http://www.promo-wholesale.com/china/Ex ... -73875.htm

You might laugh, but if you use one of these on a regular basis, no clutch or brake lever will bug you ever again. :good:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:18 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Yeah, the hand exerciser is good until you get arthritis and then nothing helps :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:35 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thanks for the feedback.

I ordered the longer DRZ clutch arm for the DR. I hope that works. I've clean the cables occasionally but haven't noticed much of a change. My 09 DR has over 40K miles on it now (all me) and all the cables (except front brake) are that old. The throttle for the TM40 cable feels kind of stiff but I figured that's the TM40. I can't recall what it was like when new. The clutch is really only a bitch after riding relatively aggressively (for a DR), over an hour on very narrow trails with drops, climbs and tight turns. Normal easy riding where minimal clutch modulation is not needed, no issues.

I did have one of those hand strengtheners "back in the day" which I used in pursuit of goals in another discipline. At 54, I'm likely on the back side of any "Pumping Iron" therapy and more likely to generate a carpal tunnel injury.

Hope the mechanical advantage offered by the longer arm makes a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:52 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I did have one of those hand strengtheners "back in the day" which I used in pursuit of goals in another discipline. At 54, I'm likely on the back side of any "Pumping Iron" therapy and more likely to generate a carpal tunnel injury.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************Hell , --- I'd like to be 54 again (I was 22 years ago) ; you're just a TODDLER ! --- Lol .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next