www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:10 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:24 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Go to a foot clutch and put the rear brake on the handle bar. My old Indian had a foot clutch. Awkward but you can do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:21 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

wotavidone wrote:
I never thought it'd be a necessity, but its rapidly getting that way for me.

Trouble is, I agree with all the comments re: hydraulics not part of the KISS principle we admire about these bikes.
I also get a bit nervous about the way all these clutch alternatives, including the rekluse from what I've read so far, seem to do away with free play and leave some load on the release/throwout mechanism.
What is needed is a boost system that
a) helps with reducing lever effort
b) completely releases when you let the lever out
c) doesn't do away with the cable
d) defaults back to cable with original lever effort when disabled/broken.

oh, and it'd be nice if it cost less than a week's pay but looks like it cost a month's pay.
(Yes all mods must also feed one,s vanity)

There, design criteria established.
I'll get right on it.

How bout a vacuum brake booster? Might look a little funny with a big diaphragm sitting on top of the engine case (if you could fit it). This is a tough one to solve. A lever activated oil pressure driven solenoid would be a novel approach. As stated, lighter clutch springs and grabbier clutch plates would be the most practical method.

A spring assist lever will take pressure off the clutch springs unless they came-up with a clever design that addressed that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Back on the subject.

Some time ago I installed cheapo Chinese adjustable levers. After machining them a bit before they really fit well (some filing on the brake lever, and a shim for the clutch lever) that is.

Although they look fairly similar to the ones I use on my Ducati, which I really like, I didn't like these at all. For a few reasons:

First, they trap your index finger. I am used using my middle finger and ring finger to grab the levers. This works well on the stock lever, and also on the shorty ones I have on my Ducati. Not on the DR. However I adjusted them, moved them left or right a bit on the bars, my index finger always gets trapped. Annoying. The shape is just not right for me.

Second, the clutch pull became heavier. And I know why, the hole for the clutch cable "barrel" was actually too far out, not inline with the adjuster on the perch. It's simpel physics from there on. Make the arm longer on the pulling side, and the required force increases.

I figured I could solve the heavier pull by installing a DR-Z400 clutch actuator arm on the clutch cover. This one is longer than the DR650SE stock one. This did work, and the clutch pull did get better. But as a side effect of a longer arm on both sides, the "travel" of the inner cable increased as well, leading to more friction/stiction in the cable. The clutch became lighter, but you'd still just feel some resistance. Maybe simply because the feed of the inner cable was not exactly in line with the adjuster on the perch.

Anyway, yesterday I reinstalled the stock levers after cutting off the balls, but left the DR-Z400 actuator arm in place. I never needed a lighter clutch than stock, but now that I have one, I am very happy with it!

With the DR-Z actuator the throw of the handle is slightly longer than stock, but there is still enough room to get it properly adjusted. Don't fear it will lead to a slipping, or not fully disengaging clutch. It works fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:09 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I wonder , --- is it just me or what? --- During more than 63 years of riding (I'm going on 80 now) I've rarely ever encountered a clutch that caused me to complain . As long as the cables are "well-lubricated" most "clutch-operations" should be smooth and reasonably light . --- YES , I have arthritis in both hands due to breaking most of the bones in them (while I was still competing in the ring) and lost 2 fingers due to a "mishap" . However , I consider the "clutch-pull" of the DR light and non-fatiguing . --- I don't expect too many to agree with my opinion . --- Not many seem to "view" my evaluation of the stock-seat (OEM) as relevant either . --- I do many 1000 "click" round-trips (ea.within 1 day) to visit my grand-kids BUT have never felt "uncomfortable" (on account of the seat). --- It all depends on the individual , I guess ! --- :lol: :scratch:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:44 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

38 DKW wrote:
I wonder , --- is it just me or what? --- During more than 63 years of riding (I'm going on 80 now) I've rarely ever encountered a clutch that caused me to complain . As long as the cables are "well-lubricated" most "clutch-operations" should be smooth and reasonably light . --- YES , I have arthritis in both hands due to breaking most of the bones in them (while I was still competing in the ring) and lost 2 fingers due to a "mishap" . However , I consider the "clutch-pull" of the DR light and non-fatiguing . --- I don't expect too many to agree with my opinion . --- Not many seem to "view" my evaluation of the stock-seat (OEM) as relevant either . --- I do many 1000 "click" round-trips (ea.within 1 day) to visit my grand-kids BUT have never felt "uncomfortable" (on account of the seat). --- It all depends on the individual , I guess ! --- :lol: :scratch:

38 DKW gets the DRRiders "Cast Iron Butt" award. :s_yes It's probably done damage to the stock seat.... :roflao

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8