www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:11 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I hear you guys and I agree for the most part. :drinks:

I love simplicity and if I were traveling I would always go for a cable.
Simplicity is one of the strongest features of the DR.
No fuel injection, no ABS, no modern electronics, no aluminum frame, etc.
Just a basic bike that can be repaired easily anywhere.

I thought there would be some, but it sounds like there is not much, if any, interest in a super light one finger clutch for the DR. :s_no

Jeff, if you haven't yet, take a minute to check out the Clake links posted earlier. :howdy:

I'm 62 and also deal with arthritis but my left hand has its own problems. :crutch:

As my left hand gets worse I will just pay the money and get a Clake for my bike(s). :2_thumbsup:

I would much rather do that, than add a clutch lever to the right side with the front brake, or worse, stop riding!

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:16 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

JagLite wrote:
I hear you guys and I agree for the most part. :drinks:

I thought there would be some, but it sounds like there is not much, if any, interest in a super light one finger clutch for the DR. :s_no

Jeff, if you haven't yet, take a minute to check out the Clake links posted earlier. :howdy:

I'm 62 and also deal with arthritis but my left hand has its own problems. :crutch:

As my left hand gets worse I will just pay the money and get a Clake for my bike(s). :2_thumbsup:

I would much rather do that, than add a clutch lever to the right side with the front brake, or worse, stop riding!

Didn't realize a lighter clutch pull was a "necessity" not a farkle. It may have been suggested already but lighter clutch springs and grabbier clutch plates would reduce the lever effort. If the steel clutch rings are SS getting them in steel or even ductile iron would make it grabbier (they could be water jetted from flat stock, someone send me a used one and I will model it in CAD for the cut pattern).

One would think with all us old farts riding the DR someone would come-up with a solution. I've done my wrists 3 times on bikes. Giving-up the DR just because of the clutch effort would blow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:50 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

...take a minute to check out the Clarke links posted earlier...
Yeah, I looked. It's interesting but someone else will have to take the plunge for the DR.
I'm up to my earlobes in projects these days. It would be a long time before I could put any time into checking it out myself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:53 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

LA Thumper wrote:
I'm not sure where they come up with the claim a hydraulic clutch requires less effort than a cable clutch, both employ levers at both ends, the hydraulic fluid moves the arm the same as a cable would. The level of work required is the same regardless of what's moving it. There is no free ride here.

This was my thought exactly. After much surfing the web, I believe I have the answer. On a UK KTM forum there is a picture of the insides of the handle bar end of a clake.
There is a spring to help do the work.

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/macsur ... 4.jpg.html

The one reservation I have is does the setup fully "unload" the release mechanism inside the engine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:02 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Isn't that just a return spring for the handle?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:05 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

LA Thumper wrote:
Didn't realize a lighter clutch pull was a "necessity" not a farkle...

One would think with all us old farts riding the DR someone would come-up with a solution.

I never thought it'd be a necessity, but its rapidly getting that way for me.

Trouble is, I agree with all the comments re: hydraulics not part of the KISS principle we admire about these bikes.
I also get a bit nervous about the way all these clutch alternatives, including the rekluse from what I've read so far, seem to do away with free play and leave some load on the release/throwout mechanism.
What is needed is a boost system that
a) helps with reducing lever effort
b) completely releases when you let the lever out
c) doesn't do away with the cable
d) defaults back to cable with original lever effort when disabled/broken.

oh, and it'd be nice if it cost less than a week's pay but looks like it cost a month's pay.
(Yes all mods must also feed one,s vanity)

There, design criteria established.
I'll get right on it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Max Kool wrote:
Isn't that just a return spring for the handle?

It is under the knob you turn to adjust the lever effort, so I think it is assisting the pull.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:17 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I don't know these by heart, but I would be surprised. Unless they built some magic into it, a pull assist would mean there is always pressure on the oil, even if you don't touch the lever.

(and besides, it's a 250, how hard can a 250cc clutch be anyway?)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:18 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

JagLite wrote:

So right, mate. :drinks:
A South African engineer at work, who is based in New Zealand, bought a KLR650 because it was cheap.
He spends a lot of time complaining about how it is not a patch on his BMW800 he has back in the land of the long white cloud.
(I've noticed that ALL Afrikaners insist that only BMW's are any good, although some will admit an Afric Twin isn't bad.)

The other day, he sent me this file about how to ride the big adventure bikes (1200 BMW, Africa twins, etc) off-road.
Lo and behold, as I'm scrolling through this document, marveling at how the author advocates carrying EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink, there's a picture of the author trying to get his BMW to go by swapping out the computer from his mate's bike.
:CSpit:

Surely they jest. For the record, they had to tow the bike.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:20 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Max Kool wrote:
I don't know these by heart, but I would be surprised. Unless they built some magic into it, a pull assist would mean there is always pressure on the oil, even if you don't touch the lever.

I think that's what all the funny cams are for, but yes, all these systems look to me as if they leave pressure in the system.
I believe the goal for most who fit these things is single finger operation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next