www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:05 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:30 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
JagLite wrote:
...Honda may sell a lot of Africa Twins to us aging riders...

:whistling:

I was thinking of you! :s_biggrin

But seriously, (butt seriously?) with all the genius people riding DR's and making custom parts for DR's, how about coming up with a super light clutch for us old and/or weak guys and gals?
I know, the clutch pull on the DR is not hard at all, and is as easy or easier as my other bikes, but my left hand is failing.

The Clake One Light Clutch system is the only setup I have read about that will work, but it is not inexpensive at $540 plus shipping.
($360 for the clake One, and $180 for the hydraulic slave cylinder to pull on the clutch release arm)
http://www.clake.com.au/onelightclutch/

Maybe a group buy through PC? That would help introduce them to the DR world.
Whatcha say Jeff? Wanna introduce another fantastic product that nobody else offers for the DR? :Roost:
Then you could add them to all the other bikes you offer parts for.
I could get one for my TW! :lol:

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:50 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I've experimented with a Magura hydraulic clutch. You could make the lever pull lighter - at the expense of having full travel. Only a DR with a nearly brand new clutch assembly works OK with less travel. With the hydraulic system setup to apply full travel the clutch lever wasn't really any lighter. It did have less friction and felt smoother and easier to modulate than a cable but with equal lever pull. You want lighter lever pull? You need longer lever travel (and bigger hands to reach it). There's no free lunch.
ame it on Archimedes --> https://www.math.nyu.edu/~crorres/Archimedes/Lever/LeverLaw.html

Something that might work is to modify the basket to take more plates and run lighter springs. Taking the anti-judder spring out would probably allow the clutch to work with a little less travel which would gain a little wiggle room for leverage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:30 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Sounds like you're not familiar with the Clake products Jeff.

People rave about them down here, I even hear Archimedes is a fan.

The secret is in the lever design, not the hydraulic line.

www.clake.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:01 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Well here is a cheap slave cylinder for less than $9

http://www.banggood.com/CNC-Pull-Hydraulic-Clutch-Cylinder-Pump-For-Motorcycle-Dirt-Pit-Bike-ATV-p-978219.html?rmmds=search

haven't tried one yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:34 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The problem with hydraulic clutch systems is "reliability" over a simple mechanical cable system. Unlike a brake master cylinder it is a long travel hydraulic system that displace the fluid rather than pressurizing it like in the brake system. The seals wear a lot faster at both ends of the system. The clutch gets used a lot more than the brake which will cause it to wear and I don't need to tell you what happens when you blow a seal. Brake master cylinders rarely fail but clutch master cylinders do, not often I might add. You can carry a spare cable with you which can be replaced out in the field, not-so-much with a hydraulic unit. We use to swap out our hydraulic clutches with cable driven one when the swap was available. Hydraulic clutches are smoother due to the fluid having to navigate thru the various orifices that dampens the clutch action but cables are generally faster acting with more of a feeling on the lever since it has a direct mechanical connection. Lots of car mfg's employ hydraulic units because there are no issue with line routing getting around a all the stuff between the pedal and the bell housing. For me I'll take a cable clutch over a hydraulic unit any day plus the cost is a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I have assembled parts lists to build a hydro clutch for the DR but keep pushing it to a back burner. I have a second cable routed and tied in place in case the original breaks. The hydro clutch would be a cool farkle but I cant justify it money or reliability wise, a chinese slave cylinder may work fine but where do I get parts to rebuild it while in the middle of nowhere, I guess I could carry a spare but that is just a bit too KTMish? The clutch pull on the DR is so light I find myself sitting at long lights in gear with the lever pulled in, a 59 year old guy with arthritis can sit and hold the clutch for 5 to 10 minutes with no problem, I am not a fan of 2 finger levers which reduce the leverage and are farkeling expensive in my book. My 2005 Kawasaki Concours has a hydraulic clutch and the lever gets painful after a minute or two of holding it in, the DR is a dream. I believe in the KISS principal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:34 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sandcrabdave wrote:
I have assembled parts lists to build a hydro clutch for the DR but keep pushing it to a back burner. I have a second cable routed and tied in place in case the original breaks. The hydro clutch would be a cool farkle but I cant justify it money or reliability wise, a chinese slave cylinder may work fine but where do I get parts to rebuild it while in the middle of nowhere, I guess I could carry a spare but that is just a bit too KTMish? The clutch pull on the DR is so light I find myself sitting at long lights in gear with the lever pulled in, a 59 year old guy with arthritis can sit and hold the clutch for 5 to 10 minutes with no problem, I am not a fan of 2 finger levers which reduce the leverage and are farkeling expensive in my book. My 2005 Kawasaki Concours has a hydraulic clutch and the lever gets painful after a minute or two of holding it in, the DR is a dream. I believe in the KISS principal.

I hear ya on that Dave. Not a good idea holding the clutch in for an extended period of time it beats-up on the throw-up bearing. I tell people who advocate for a hydraulic clutch: "if your life depended on it which would you rather have, cable or hydraulic? The response is often "silence". On the TL1000R the slave cylinder is next to the counter sprocket which gets lots of chain lube splashed on it that acts like fly paper for dirt and the slave cylinders would routinely fail blowing out the seal spewing brake fluid all over the bodywork leaving the rider mad and stranded :s_mad The solution is the TL1000S cable clutch assembly :s_smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:47 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I really liked the feel of the Magura that I ran on my old 780. Once installed it was 100% trouble free over 4 years.
But... On my newest build I'm sticking to a cable for simplicity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

JagLite wrote:
But seriously, (butt seriously?) with all the genius people riding DR's and making custom parts for DR's, how about coming up with a super light clutch for us old and/or weak guys and gals?
I know, the clutch pull on the DR is not hard at all, and is as easy or easier as my other bikes, but my left hand is failing.

The Clake One Light Clutch system is the only setup I have read about that will work, but it is not inexpensive at $540 plus shipping.
($360 for the clake One, and $180 for the hydraulic slave cylinder to pull on the clutch release arm)
http://www.clake.com.au/onelightclutch/

Maybe a group buy through PC? That would help introduce them to the DR world.
Whatcha say Jeff? Wanna introduce another fantastic product that nobody else offers for the DR? :Roost:
Then you could add them to all the other bikes you offer parts for.
I could get one for my TW! :lol:

I'm not sure where they come up with the claim a hydraulic clutch requires less effort than a cable clutch, both employ levers at both ends, the hydraulic fluid moves the arm the same as a cable would. The level of work required is the same regardless of what's moving it. There is no free ride here.

The worse clutch I ever used was on my old Kawi H1 triple which required a herculean effort :aggressive: :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Quote:
The worse clutch I ever used was on my old Kawi H1 triple which required a herculean effort :aggressive: :sad:

Or any unmodified Harley except a V-Rod...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next