www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:46 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:27 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

nyolds wrote:
Great pics. Coming from Western NY to Idaho in 91 because of the Military was a culture shock.
After leaving for Tucson AZ all I wanted to do was go back. Being 45 min from Boise and 10 miles from a town, there
was more to do than being right next to Tucson. Spent some time hunting north of Boise and east of Mt Home.
Had a blast at Strike Damn most weekends and Boise is the cleanest city I have ever been to.
Still wish I was there with a DR to really explore more of the mountains north of Boise. Jealous!

Come on back!

I'm sure it has changed a little, but not much. For example, the whole south western part of the state is on fire, and wages are on track with the 90's. :spiteful:

We would like to try a different state but I don't know if we could find a "better" place to raise our family. Our town is kid friendly, I can buy a hunting and fishing combo license for $33, and almost all our public land is still open for recreation . Oregon or Washington sounds good but there are the "unknowns".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:16 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

These are pics of a ride through southwestern Idaho. This was a couple weeks before the Soda Fire ripped through. I haven't been back to check damage.

These hills are blackened. South of Caldwell, ID.
Image20150711_071652 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

Image20150425_104056 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

You can see my riding partners went right past these wild horses. I asked if they saw them, "What horses" was the reply. About 30 wild horses died in the fire.
Image20150711_102603 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

Here is the aptly named "Butterhooves" doing what she does.
Image20150711_111925 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

Image20150711_111944 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

Image20150711_144657 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

Got caught in a thunder storm.
Image20150711_154342 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

The victorious emerge onto the main road to Silver City, ID. I love this pic. One of my pals in the pic is 69 yrs old the other is 82!! How bad ass are these guys!? The 69 yr old broke some ribs on old Butterhooves a couple weeks ago, but it's alright. He is still riding his Kawasaki ninja Z14. :2_thumbsup:
Image20150711_172327 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:36 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Went to Silver City (in a truck) a few years ago, fascinating place. Would be a great ride on a DR!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:50 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Got a couple of guys from the riding club to join me on a ride tomorrow. Have to go check out the fire damage and swing back into Silver City. Finally figured out how to do a screen shot of a map. Pics to follow.

Imageloop by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:40 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Hey Fatback

I just finished reading the Sept. Motor Cyclist with a pretty cool
article about the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route 1300 miles.
Here's the web site www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com check it out.

Looking like a future ride I would like to make just to say a did get to
ride in Idaho again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:27 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

A couple weeks ago I set out to find a buck. Being the ever so extreme hunter I am, I decided to take my young boys. :whistling:

The plan was to take my oldest (7 yrs old) on Wednesday to an area which has single track foot traffic, horse, or motorcycle only trails. This spot is about three hours from home and is my normal hunting area. We trailered the DR up and road around until he started to pass out on the back. We saw multiple animals, but never even shouldered the rifle. It is always a nice day up there.

The next morning (Thursday) it was time to take my 4 year old on his first solo hunt with dad. Not knowing how he'd respond to the elements and activities, I decided it would be safer to stay closer to home. We trailered the DR about an hour from home to a spot I normally just ride, but have never really hunted. This ride produced possibly millions of animals, maybe billions. Everywhere you looked there were white asses of mule deer. The morning hunt was short based on the four year old attention span and the requests to go get a hot chocolate, not to mention a low-speed get-off, probably didn't help things. What did come out of this hunt was locating the buck that I would wind up shooting.

Image20151015_083438 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

Flash-forward to Saturday morning, I hauled both boys and my wife up to the close area and proceeded to retrieve a small cache of meat. So... moral of the story is I got two separate day trips on the DR with my kids and didn't have to eat a deer tag.

I've never seen a sign like this. It's pretty clear the land owner paid to have it made. I can't say for certain, but I would guess that the rancher has a dispute with grazing rights based on the sage grouse habit, or maybe it's something else.

Image20151015_083448 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

My buck. :wink:

Image20151029_225549 by Bo Fatback, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:27 pm 

SuperMotoDude I just moved to Emmett Idaho in November. I've read a few of your posts it seems to me that our riding interests are very similar. I rode a 60 mile loop on my dr yesterday from Emmett through Pearl to Horseshoe Bend to Sweet (to look at a potential home) and then back to Emmett. We should get together for a ride sometime.

Attachments:
20160213_112841.jpg
20160213_112841.jpg [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 382 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:32 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

nyolds wrote:
Hey Fatback

I just finished reading the Sept. Motor Cyclist with a pretty cool
article about the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route 1300 miles.
Here's the web site http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com check it out.

Looking like a future ride I would like to make just to say a did get to
ride in Idaho again.

Sorry I missed this a while ago.

The pics of Deadwood in a prior post should be on the IDBDR. I just bought a new IDBDR map on Friday. Looks bad ass.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:44 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Idahothumper wrote:
SuperMotoDude I just moved to Emmett Idaho in November. I've read a few of your posts it seems to me that our riding interests are very similar. I rode a 60 mile loop on my dr yesterday from Emmett through Pearl to Horseshoe Bend to Sweet (to look at a potential home) and then back to Emmett. We should get together for a ride sometime.

Definitely should get a ride in! P.M. if you have some ideas or days. Not real familiar with the whole Emmett area, but I have some areas over by Homedale. Should be plenty of snow up through Sweet and Sage Hen.

Check out Motoidaho.com. That is the club I'm in. It is $20 per year, but there are some cool guys and good rides. I got more than my money back in raffles. No mandatory meetings or anything. They donate any left over funds to different organizations. I think is a good way to meet people to ride with. :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:39 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Thanks for the update! I don't know when I might be drifting over toward Idaho again, but I see you're close to the Oregon border.(Thanks to your being on the map!) :clapping:

I can try PM, maybe shoot a flare, or even try smoke signals to get your attention when I pass that way. :s_cool

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next