www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:13 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:50 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
The thing about the dB scale it's far from linear. Every 3 points doubles the sound. But... our hearing is non-linear in the opposite direction....
So, any comparison I say like "sounds half as loud" is purely subjective.

If I remember well:
The dB measurements refers either to SPL (sound pressure level) which is the pressure applied by the pulsating air waves (think: torque) or to the Acoustic Power that is transferred through the applied SPL (think: horsepower).
6dB difference in SPL generates 3dB more in Acoustic Power which means double the energy
BUT
our hearing mechanism is not only not linear to energy received through these SPL waves but also not linearly sensitive regarding the frequency that this energy is transferred and on top of this the perceived loudness depends on both the frequency envelope AND the SPL that this sound envelope is received by the hearing mechanism (psychoacoustics: Loudness).
That is why there is an (A) besides dB number measurements, to denote that the measurement is "weighted" (filtered) through the (A) scale that tries to make dry SPL numbers relative to how messy our hearing mechanism works so we can assess how louder or quieter sound sources are relative to each other (Loudness).
Since each person deviates from the accepted norms, this (A) way is pretty coarse and this why we have this whole science sector of Acoustics making its living on this double-triple lack of hearing linearity ("A" scale because there is also the "B", "C" etc scales for other sound calculation uses).
ProCycle wrote:
If it wasn't we would not be able to hear any soft sounds.

Exactly: The loud vs the soft sounds have vast difference in Acoustic Power, so vast that no way for a linear system to cover the whole range and this is the reason evolution came up with this so unilinear acoustic mechanism so we can hear light crackles produced by predator paws while our ears can also survive the roar of above our head storm thunders).

In general:
10dB(A) SPL means double perceived loudness (but even then, when we talk about thumbing acoustic pulses with differences in frequency spectrum, perceived loudness cannot be objectively measured and differs per person :wacko: as most of the measurement methodologies are mostly about constant noise sources and not pulses producing ones).

more reading here: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

40 GOTO 10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:24 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

How about a dyno test v. LV/GSXR/DG/Stock?

Not that I need persuasion. Mine is already coming in the mail, as I recently had the tab break off my GSXR and felt a new can was in order.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:50 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I look forward to your comparative opinion since the usual steady WOT dyno pull says nothing about real life throttle response between cans.

40 GOTO 10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

How about a dyno test v. LV/GSXR/DG/Stock?.
The DG would win that battle with LeoVince and GSXR tied for second and stock a distant last place.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:48 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

RamMan4x4 wrote:
Max Kool wrote:
Kodachrome wrote:
since there are 2 maintenance free mufflers out there now, i would really like to understand the pros and cons of each. the leo vince vs tis precycle one. I would also love to hear the sound of this one

Three actually.

Four...stock, GSXR mufflers (40F0, 35F0, etc..), Leo Vance and now ProCycle

Five: the Aussie made Staintune is quite popular here. Not my cup o' tea but a maintenance free stainless steel full system.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:03 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Dakar Dan","RamMan4x4","Max Kool","Kodachrome wrote:
since there are 2 maintenance free mufflers out there now, i would really like to understand the pros and cons of each. the leo vince vs tis precycle one. I would also love to hear the sound of this one
Three actually.

Four...stock, GSXR mufflers (40F0, 35F0, etc..), Leo Vance and now ProCycle

Five: the Aussie made Staintune is quite popular here. Not my cup o' tea but a maintenance free stainless steel full system.

Or six: Supposedly the Marving system doesn't need any maintenance. :s_dunno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Quite a difference in the after market and non stock Suzuki mufflers. Staintune, DG and others much louder than Barrett and Yosh. Maybe more power but just too loud, in my opinion. Barrett, Yosh and Two Brothers, all with baffles acceptable noise wise, again my opinion. Gsxr mufflers, 18G the best power and still quiet, 40 almost as powerful but so much smaller! 35, 33, very similiar but the 24 wins in producing the best balance of sound, torque and size in my opinion. I have made midpipes or have tuned carbs and personally ridden bikes with all these mufflers.

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:03 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Mi_ka wrote:
I look forward to your comparative opinion since the usual steady WOT dyno pull says nothing about real life throttle response between cans.

First day riding and I need to lean out the jetting from where it was with my x040x. Once that's done, I can give a somewhat more objective opinion. I have a JD jet kit, with a well opened airbox, and would welcome Procycle's opinion on optimal settings.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

We're running the same jetting with 40F0 or SS1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:11 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Auscanvet wrote:
Quite a difference in the after market and non stock Suzuki mufflers. Staintune, DG and others much louder than Barrett and Yosh. Maybe more power but just too loud, in my opinion. Barrett, Yosh and Two Brothers, all with baffles acceptable noise wise, again my opinion. Gsxr mufflers, 18G the best power and still quiet, 40 almost as powerful but so much smaller! 35, 33, very similiar but the 24 wins in producing the best balance of sound, torque and size in my opinion. I have made midpipes or have tuned carbs and personally ridden bikes with all these mufflers.

Perhaps the Staintune you tried had the bung missing? With bung they meet ADR noise specs, and they will provide a sticker for the muffler that states compliance. To my ear, mine is quieter than the 040 I used for a while.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next