www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:41 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:08 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Continuing with my theme of low hanging fruit for DR650 accessories, I just installed my Cee Baileys ‘Sport Deflector’ windscreen.

This is a much smaller screen than the Cee Baileys ‘Commuter’ and it is in between my Eagle Screens 300mm and 400mm screens. The Sport is narrower than either Eagle Screen and it has a more ‘dual sport’ look (rather than the more ‘bubble’ look of the Eagle Screens). You can see my thread on the Eagle Screens here:

topic9608.html

I was experiencing buffeting issues with the Eagle Screens (especially with the 400mm), so I decided to try the Cee Baileys Sport before I went to the trouble to try and fabricate a mounting bracket solution for the Eagle Screens. I also considered the Madstrad system, but it is overkill for me. I’m basically just trying to resolve the ‘crop top’ styling issue that I have with the standard DR650 fly screen / headlight housing / number plate. I’m hoping that the Cee Baileys molded-in wind scoop and my spacer mounting will allow the airstream to spit correctly to alleviate the buffeting issues caused by the low pressure area created at speed behind the non-vented screens.

The Sport was well packaged and all hardware was included. I raided my spare parts bin to create risers to (hopefully) increase the airflow up the backside of the screen. The Sport ships with two spacers, which I used in conjunction with a couple of rubber grommets on the upper mounts. The lower risers are simply a couple of rubber grommets. Two comments for Cee Baileys – please include four of the black spacers instead of just two, and please, please, please use black nylon phillips head fasteners rather than the natural color allen heads. The white nylon allen heads on my dark tint screen is not exactly the look I’m going for.

IMHO, the Sport screen is borderline too heavy for the unsupported DR650 fly screen. I’ll be fabricating some inconspicuous brackets for support upon our return to the US this summer. I used a metallic sticker which I had removed from one of my new mirrors to cover the no longer used Eagle Screens front mounting hole. My fly screen is starting to look like a piece of swiss cheese. I’ll fix this when I convert the bike to yellow after all the mods are complete.

Here are some pics. I’ll replace the natural color nylon allen head fasteners with black nylon philips heads when I have a chance. Can’t wait to take it for a spin.

Best Regards, Fred

Check out the 4min history of our motorcycling family !
https://vimeo.com/77889635

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:00 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Looks great! Very similar in design to the Bajaworx screen that I just installed on mine!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:39 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

BillMoore wrote:
Looks great! Very similar in design to the Bajaworx screen that I just installed on mine!

Thanks Bill. How is the wind turbulance with the Bajaworx ? I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam and the 400mm Eagle Screen wind turbulance was too much for me with the standard mounting. I really like the Eagle Screens, but I haven't had a chance yet to experiment with mounting alternatives.

I'm hoping the Cee Bailey will be good to go as-is. I'll find out as soon as we're back in the States this summer.

Best Regards, Fred

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:04 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

old_dirt_guy wrote:
Thanks Bill. How is the wind turbulance with the Bajaworx ? I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam and the 400mm Eagle Screen wind turbulance was too much for me with the standard mounting. I really like the Eagle Screens, but I haven't had a chance yet to experiment with mounting alternatives.

I'm hoping the Cee Bailey will be good to go as-is. I'll find out as soon as we're back in the States this summer.

Best Regards, Fred

Fred, I haven't had a chance to ride it yet since I installed it. Recovering from an illness, and probably another week or two before I'll be able to ride.

I'm 2" shorter than you, but with a 30" inseam, most of that difference is in the legs, so my head is probably about the same height from the seat as yours.

Can't wait to get in a test ride and see how much difference it makes...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:36 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

What mirrors are those?? I like them too...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

jmk015 wrote:
Looks great!

What mirrors are those?? I like them too...

Thanks. The mirrors are DRC "offroad" mirrors that I ordered from Procycle. More info on the mirrors is available in the install post / thread at the link below :

topic9408.html

rgds, Fred

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:55 pm 

Had a chance to test out the fairing yet? I'm 5'8" so I'm really interested to hear if you're experiencing any buffeting at speed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:04 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

dlhuddie wrote:
Had a chance to test out the fairing yet? I'm 5'8" so I'm really interested to hear if you're experiencing any buffeting at speed.

Hi dl, no unfortunately I haven't made it back to the US since I did the install. I'll keep you posted, but it may be the summer before I make it back to the States. :sad:

I hope the CeeBaily works out ok, because I really don't like the buffeting I was experiencing with the Eagle Screen. Otherwise, I'm going back to no screen at all.

Best Regards, Fred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 pm 

dlhuddie wrote:

Hi dl, no unfortunately I haven't made it back to the US since I did the install. I'll keep you posted, but it may be the summer before I make it back to the States. :sad:

I hope the CeeBaily works out ok, because I really don't like the buffeting I was experiencing with the Eagle Screen. Otherwise, I'm going back to no screen at all.

Best Regards, Fred

Thanks, looking forward to hearing how it goes!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:09 pm 

that thing looks good. I might just have to get one